Well, I just packed up my last bag to be sent back to Gwynnie Bee, and scheduled it for pick up tomorrow with the US Postal Service. My 30 day free trial isn’t over until April 2, but I cancelled the service anyway.
I started the service because I was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding, and I didn’t want to buy a dress I wasn’t going to be able to wear that often. Since it was free to try, it seemed like a win/win!
I didn’t get any of the dresses I initially picked out, but I did get a dress that worked fine for the wedding, and I also found a dress I would love to own (not the dress I wore to the wedding) if I had someplace to wear it. That dress isn’t one I would have even tried on in a store.
After the wedding I deleted all of the dresses from my closet and started adding cute tops to maybe spice up my daily wardrobe and take advantage of the remainder of my 30 day free trial. I picked out a ton of tops and ended up with three that didn’t really work for me. The final one arrived today and while I really liked it, it was long enough to be a dress and it reeked of cigarette smoke. Ugh. I washed it before I sent it back.
Pros of the Gwynnie Bee service:
1. Great selection! Beautiful clothes that don’t just go by size, but also give you the measurements.
2. Free shipping to and from them.
3. Loved the packaging!
4. I loved getting new items to try.
Cons of the Gwynnie Bee service:
1. You won’t always get the item you want, in fact, it might take a while. You can email and suggest which item you would like to have, but it doesn’t mean you will get it. It’s sort of like Netflix for clothes. You get what is available from your queue.
2. Pricing. The service is kind of pricey or someone like me. Also the prices for the clothing you want to keep is rather expensive for used clothing.
3. It is used clothing. Everything I got was in pretty good shape. The dress I wore to the wedding had a handmade hole in the belt that was there when I got it. (Thank goodness, because the belt didn’t fit me otherwise.) There was minor wear on some items, usually on the inside. The last outfit I got reeked of cigarette smoke, which made me quite unhappy.
4. The selection may not be appropriate for where you live. I’m in Florida, and most of the tops available were 3/4 or long sleeved and thicker material, which doesn’t really work here.
While I enjoyed trying out the service, I just couldn’t justify the cost every month. I liked having some jazzy tops to wear but as a stay at home mom, I just couldn’t find a time or place to wear them.
This service would be great for someone who goes out a lot or needs some new jazzy things for her work wardrobe. I’d recommend it for that.